All foreign persons receiving fellowship or scholarship payments from UC Merced are required to use GLACIER, which is our Online Tax Compliance System, to submit tax information. This will allow us to determine your tax residency, withholding rates, and income tax treaty eligibility and ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations. Note that fellowship disbursements may be delayed until your GLACIER profile is complete.
If you are a nonresident of the United States, you may need to update your profile in the GLACIER Program to include fellowship awards. If you already have an employment profile in the system, simply update your information in GLACIER to include a fellowship award. DO NOT delete the information that is already in the system.
Please follow the instructions below. If you have any questions regarding updating your GLACIER profile, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Log on to your GLACIER record at https://www.online-tax.net (you should have received a login ID and temporary password via email).
2. Update record as follows:
a. If Social Security Number (SSN) has been received: Enter your SSN
b. Under RELATIONSHIP WITH UCLA:
i. Leave employee information as is
ii. Add: Scholarship/Fellowship: All others
c. Under INCOME TYPE:
i. Leave employee income type as is
ii. Add: Scholarship/Fellowship: Award
d. Complete to the end of the record
3. Print, sign and date forms. The first page will have a list of documents that must be submitted.
4. Submit all forms and required documents as soon as possible via fax to: (310) 794-8751, Attention: Oksana Haehn
5. If you are claiming a tax treaty, original signed and dated forms need to be sent to the following address:
UCLA Corp Fin Serv-Pyrl
BOX 951416, Ste 620, UCLA Wilshire Cntr
Los Angeles CA 90095-1416
A faxed copy can be sent to Cicili Mislang at (310) 794-8751 to make sure that the forms are filled out correctly.