As you near the completion of your degree, your thoughts will inevitably turn to what comes next. Explore your options and be better prepared for the job market with these workshops and resources.
On-Campus Workshops (via GEARS)
- Preparing for the Job Interview and Negotiating the Job Offer
- Choosing Between Academic and Nonacademic Sector Jobs
- New Faculty Panel
- Preparing for the Postdoctoral Position
- National Labs Day
- Jobs for Social Scientists and Humanists in Industry, Government, and Non-Profit Sectors
- Jobs for Natural Scientists and Engineers in Industry and Government
Academic Job Resources
- The Academic Job Market: An Intro for Everyone
- Associate Dean Chris Kello, adapted fom a presentation by Stephanie Shih
- Location, Location, Location? What to consider when choosing a postdoc.
- Rudy M. Ortiz, PhD, Professor and Chair of School of Natural Sciences
- The Quick and Relatively Painless Guide to your Academic Job Search
You may also want to explore the resources in the Guide, located here.
- Karen Kelshky (free pdf download from Chronicle Vitae)
- Jobs in Higher Education
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Career Network
- Academic Careers Online
On Being a Versatile Ph.D.
- Chronicle of Higher Education Vitae - News & Advice (forum)
- Chronicle of Higher Education Vitae - Flexible Academics (forum)
- The Versatile Ph.D Online Community
UC Merced students, staff, and faculty have full access to this site - just create an account with your UC Merced email address.
- Connected Academics
This site offers resources and career information to help humanities doctoral students identify appropriate career paths.
- Humanists@Work is a UC-wide initiative geared towards UC Humanities and humanistic Social Science MAs and Ph.D.s interested in careers outside/alongside the academy.
More General Career/Field Information
- Are You Career Competent? (Inside Higher Ed)
- Finding Your Footing in a New Position (Chronicle Vitae advice)
- STEM Careers - Best Colleges (listing of STEM job boards at the bottom of the page)
- Women in STEM - Best Colleges (STEM-specific scholarships at the end, some available for graduate students)
- MYIDP: Science Careers - An individual development plan (IDP) helps you explore career possibilities and set goals to follow the career path that fits you best.