Grateful to their mother, Rose R. Ruiz, for her strong work ethic, entrepreneurial spirit, and belief in higher education, Fred and Mitzie Ruiz have chosen to honor her by establishing this fellowship in her name. The Rose R. Ruiz Fellowship is designed to inspire, encourage and support graduate students enrolled in a Ph.D. or master's program realize their dreams. Of special interest are those students who are highly motivated to succeed despite the obstacles they may face, including immigration challenges, being the first in their family to attend a four-year university, and personal financial stresses.
Eligibility Requirments & Standards
- First priority will be given to students who have California Dream Act (AB540/130/131) status with UC Merced. Second priority will be given to students who are the first in their family to attend a four-year university.
- Ph.D. or master's student, regardless of immigration status.
- Currently be enrolled in 12 units in one of the graduate programs, GPA ≥ 3.0 and good academic standing.
- Have a financial need and/or hardship.
- One fellowship award will be made each academic year.
- Recipient will receive an award of $1,000 in this current academic year to be used for travel and/or student research. Funds will disburse by the end of Spring 2022.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
Use of Funds
- Funds may be used specifically for the pursuit of educational and graduate career goals.
- Apply by completing an online application. Please note, the fellowship application is built within the admissions system, so you might see some items that reference admissions.
- During the application process you will be able to select this fellowship among others, if it is currently open.
- Please include the following items with your application:
- General Statement - 1-2 pages that describe your research area(s) of interest, accomplishments to date and long-term academic goals.
- For your statement, write for a general academic audience, i.e. a faculty reviewer who does not necessarily have expertise in your area of research.
- Unofficial up-to-date UCM transcript.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- One letter of recommendation from a UC Merced faculty member.
- The fellowship committee will review all complete applications. Review criteria will include adherence to the fellowship guidelines, the academic qualifications of the applicant, and the letter of recommendation. Please note, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
* Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships page for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.