Grateful to their mother, Rose R. Ruiz, for her strong work ethic, entrepreneurial spirit, and belief in higher education, Fred and Mitzie Ruiz have chosen to honor her by establishing this fellowship in her name. The Rose R. Ruiz Fellowship is designed to inspire, encourage and support graduate students enrolled in a Ph.D. or Masters program realize their dreams. Of special interest are those students who are highly motivated to succeed despite the obstacles they may face, including immigration challenges, being the first in their family to attend a four-year university, and personal financial stresses.
Eligibility Requirments & Standards
- Ph.D. or Masters student, regardless of immigration status.
- Currently be enrolled in 12 units in one of the graduate programs, GPA ≥ 3.0 and good academic standing.
- Have a financial need and/or hardship.
- First priority will be given to students who have California Dream Act (AB540/130/131) status with UCM. Second priority will be given to students who are the first in their family to attend a four-year university.
- One fellowship award will be made each academic year.
- Recipient will receive an award of $1,000 in this current academic year to be used for travel and/or student research.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
Use of Funds
- Funds may be used specifically for the pursuit of educational and graduate career goals.
Application & Review Procedures
- Students may apply by completing an online application.
- Each application must include a one-page personal statement that speaks to how this award will help the student overcome a financial hardship. The statement should also speak to the unique challenges they have faced, or continue to face, in the pursuit of their educational goal.
- Must include one letter of recommendation from a UCM faculty member, CV and unofficial UCM transcripts.
- The fellowship committee will review all complete applications based on the criteria above. However, please note, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
* Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.