Valuing the role that the University of California plays in transforming lives and providing the catalytic base for economic development, Fred and Mitzie Ruiz have generously established this fellowship to support graduate education at UCM. The Fred and Mitzie Ruiz Fellowship is designed to support Ph.D. or Masters students who contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their academic career and/or community service.
Eligibility Requirments & Standards
- Ph.D. or Masters student.
- Currently be enrolled in 12 units in one of the graduate programs, GPA ≥ 3.0 and good academic standing.
- Preference will be given to students who bring to their academic and research careers the perspective that comes from their non-traditional education background or understanding of the experiences of groups historically underrepresented in higher education.
- One fellowship award will be made each academic year.
- Recipient will receive an award of $1,000 in this current academic year to be used for travel and/or student research. Funds will disburse by the middle of Spring 2018.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
Use of Funds
- Funds may be used specifically for the pursuit of educational and graduate career goals.
Application & Review Procedures
- Apply by completing an online application.
- Each application must include a one-page personal statement that specifically speaks to how the student’s non-traditional education background, or understanding of the experiences of groups historically underrepresented in higher education, is incorporated into their academic careers and/or community service.
- Must include one letter of recommendation from a UCM faculty member, CV and unofficial UCM transcripts.
- The fellowship committee will review all complete applications based on the criteria above. However, please note, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
* The Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships page for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.