Realizing the importance of higher education and the positive impacts of increased educational opportunities for students, Daryl and Janet Hatano have generously established this fellowship to support graduate students at UC Merced. This fellowship intends to support graduate students who are working towards addressing the critical issues that society is currently experiencing.
Eligibility Requirments & Standards
- Preference will be given to continuing graduate students in a research field that is related to the developmental aspects of typical or atypical learning and cognition.
- All continuing graduate students are eligible, regardless of citizenship.
- Currently be enrolled in 12 units in one of the graduate programs, GPA ≥ 3.0 and good academic standing.
- One fellowship award will be made each academic year.
- Recipient will receive an award of $1,000 in this current academic year to be used for travel and/or student research. Funds will disburse by the middle of Spring 2019.
Use of Funds
- Funds must be used specifically for the pursuit of educational and graduate career goals.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
- Apply by completing an online application. Please note, the fellowship application is built within the admissions system, so you might see some items that reference admissions.
- During the application process you will be able to select this fellowship among others, if it is currently open.
- Each application must include a one-page personal statement that speaks to your research in helping to address the critical issues that society is currently experiencing, accomplishments to date, and long-term goals.
- Must include one letter of recommendation from a UCM faculty member, CV and unofficial UCM transcripts.
- The fellowship committee will review all complete applications based on the criteria above. However, please note, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
* The Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships page for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.
Hatano Cognitive Development Fellows