The University of California, Merced is committed to the recruitment, admission, and retention of a high quality graduate student population. Edward and Renee Fields established the prestigious Fields Family Fellowship to help recruit top Ph.D. students to UCM.
Eligibility Requirements & Standards
- Ph.D. applicants entering their first year of graduate study.
- Submit a graduate admissions application by January 15, 2018.
- All Ph.D. applicants are eligible, regardless of citizenship.
- Undergraduate GPA above 3.0.
- Must be awarded as part of an offer of multi-year support.
- Deferment of the award beyond the first year is not allowed.
- Preference will be given to students addressing critical issues faced by society. This should be specifically addressed in the nomination.
- One fellowship award will be made each academic year.
- The $1,500 award is distributed as a $750 award during the Fall and Spring semester.
- Must be enrolled in 12 units before award will be disbursed.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
Nomination & Review Procedures
- Each graduate group offering a doctoral degree is eligible to nominate one Ph.D. applicants each year. Any applicant meeting the criteria above is eligible; applicants do not need to apply. Graduate Group Chairs should submit their nominations directly to the Graduate Division no later than February 3, 2017.
- This fellowship will follow a multiple step review process that considers all applicants. Review criteria will include adherence to the fellowship guidelines, intellectual merit and academic qualifications of the applicant.
- First Review - Nominations submitted by the Graduate Group Chairs should include a brief description of the process and criteria that the graduate group used to choose nominees. For each nominee, the faculty mentor should be listed, along with 3-4 sentences highlighting the nominee’s qualifications for the non-expert reviewer, plus any information not in the Ph.D. admissions applications that might help the review committee evaluate the nominees and their fellowship qualifications.
- Second Review - Nominee admissions applications are provided to the review committee, and the committee then makes recommendations to the Graduate Division. Review criteria will include adherence to the fellowship guidelines and the academic qualifications of the nominee.
- Third Review - Final award decisions will be made by the Graduate Dean.
January 15, 2018
Graduate Group Rank List:
February 2, 2018
Fields Family Fellows