The UC Merced Fletcher Jones Fellowship is intended for doctorate students who have advanced to candidacy and demonstrate financial need. This award is intended to assist graduate students with the completion of their degree. It is a highly prestigious award, made available through funding from the Fletcher Jones Foundation. It will provide students with a one-year fellowship.
Eligibility Requirements & Standards
- Must be a Ph.D. student who has advanced to candidacy during the award period.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or AB540 student.
- Must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward degree.
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their graduate studies at UC Merced and be enrolled in 12 units during the award period.
- Fletcher Jones Fellows cannot be employed during the award period.
- Only one award will be made each academic year.
- Recipients will receive a fellowship of $20,106 paid over a 9-month academic year period, plus payment of Graduate Fees (Resident Tuition, Student Services Fee and Health Services Fee), excluding Campus Based Fees.
- Recipients will also receive a summer award of $6,702 following the academic year of the award period.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If you will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce your student loan eligibility.
- Students must complete the online application. The application must include the following:
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Unofficial UCM transcript, including current semester.
- Statement - 2-4 pages describing the applicant’s proposed research project, progress to date, plans for completion, and the applicant’s career goals upon receiving his/her doctoral degree. The statement should address how the fellowship would relieve financial hardship and it should be written for a general academic audience, i.e. a faculty reviewer who does not necessarily have expertise in the specific area of study.
- Declare Estimated Financial Resources - Complete the financial resources section on the application indicating all sources of known or estimated financial support the applicant will receive during the award period. The name, type and amount of support should be included for each known or estimated source. Also include a list of known or estimated financial obligations.
- Letters of Recommendation - Faculty advisor name and email must be provided under the Letters of Recommendation tab on the online application form. Advisors will receive an email request for a letter of support for the applicant. The letter of support should include a description of the advisor relationship and the project that the student will complete during the 9-month period. Please note that the letter of support will go to the Graduate Division and the Graduate Council (GC), and will not be visible to the applicant.
* The Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships page for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.
Fletcher Jones Fellows - 2015/16
Quantitative & Systems Biology
Cognitive and Information Sciences
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science