Graduate Orientation Week (GROW)
Graduate Orientation Week (GROW) encompasses a number of workshops, training programs and events held at the beginning of each academic year to introduce new students to the campus community and prepare them to start their graduate studies at UC Merced.
GROW will be held remotely this year because it normally happens in relatively large gatherings of all incoming graduate students with various faculty and staff. Remote delivery of GROW does have one advantage — it can be spread out over more than a week. We cover a lot of material and we hope that spreading it out over time will help students take it all in.
August 17 is a milestone at the start of each year because it is the date by which all new graduate students should be registered as students and paperwork completed for employment (more info soon about paperwork processes this year). It is also the official start of GROW, and we will still have some required training starting August 17. However, other parts of GROW have been spread out over a pre-GROW summer schedule that includes webinars, zoom panels, and email updates. The full schedule along with more information can be found here:
Be sure to check your UC Merced email for updates and reminders for upcoming pre-GROW events.
GROW registration is now open! Please sign up at your earliest convenience.
Register for GROW by Friday, July 31 by noon (12 p.m.).
- New Hire Paperwork (Please find updates to this video in this PowerPoint and document).
- Graduate Student Association (GSA) Webinar
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Funding Workshop
- Advisor Working Relationship
- Center for Engaged Teaching and Learning Part 2: Remote Student Experience
- Grad Dean's Virtual Office Hours, June 2, 2020
- Grad Dean's Virtual Office Hours, July 1, 2020
- Important Information for Incoming Graduate Students, May 19, 2020
- Graduate Student Support, June 12, 2020
- Research Relaunch, June 16, 2020
- Webinar and Livechat on Graduate Student Life, June 24, 2020
- New Graduate Student Orientation, June 26, 2020
- Pre-GROW Housing and Transportation Resources, July 11, 2020
- Pre-GROW Research, July 14, 2020
More important GROW information can be found below:
For general GROW related questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts: