In 2007, Sarah R. Kurtz was one of the prestigious awardees of the Dan David Prize Laureate for her work toward the development of concentration solar power systems using multi-junction solar cells. Kurtz helped pioneer the multi-junction solar cell used by most space satellites and NASA’s Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity. It was her desire to establish the Dan David Solar Fellowship, the first of its kind, to support graduate students working in the area of concentrating solar power systems.
Eligibility Requirements & Standards
- Preference will be given to continuing graduate students in a solar energy field, specifically concentrating on solar power systems using multi-junction solar cells.
- Preference will be given to those who show academic excellence and a clear desire to pursue a career in solar energy.
- All continuing graduate students are eligible, regardless of citizenship.
- Currently be enrolled in 12 units in one of the graduate programs, GPA ≥ 3.0 and good academic standing.
- Two or more fellowship awards will be made each academic year.
- Each award will be up to $2,000 for this current academic year, depending on funds available. Funds will disburse by the middle of Spring 2018.
Student Loan Impact
- Per federal guidelines, all fellowship and tuition support is taken into consideration when determining student loan eligibility. If the student will receive federal student loans during the same academic year as this award, please note that this award could, and most likely will, reduce their student loan eligibility.
Application & Review Procedures
- Apply by completing an online application.
- Each application must include a one-page personal statement that speaks to your solar research, accomplishments to date, and long-term goals.
- Must include one letter of recommendation from a UCM faculty member, CV and unofficial UCM transcripts.
- The fellowship committee will review all complete applications based on the criteria above. However, please note, incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
* The Graduate Division reserves the right not to make an award in any given year for which a call for applications/nominations has been issued.
See the Internal Fellowships page for current deadlines associated with this fellowship.
Dan David Solar Fellows