The GRAD-EXCEL Program is designed to promote early success in first-year doctoral students, through coaching and engagement with a community of advanced doctoral peer mentors. Each incoming doctoral student will be guided by a GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentor (matched by research discipline) as they acclimate to UC Merced and their graduate studies during their first academic year.
GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentors
GRAD-EXCEL mentors provide a great service to their mentees while developing leadership skills that will enhance their own professional development. Mentors will gain mentoring skills and experience in individual and group settings, increase their knowledge of Graduate Division resources, and interact with various UC Merced faculty, staff and students.
Graduate peer mentors will serve as mentors for incoming doctoral students participating in the 2017-18 GRAD-EXCEL Program. They will guide incoming doctoral students as they navigate their first-year experience. Graduate peer mentors will receive a $250 fellowship for participation each semester.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Check-in with mentees prior and throughout the program on a regular, bi-weekly basis
- Guide mentees as they acclimate to life at UC Merced and the graduate program culture
- Share experiences to orient incoming students into their first year of graduate school
- Report any concerns regarding mentees' progress or well-being
- Attend and participate in the following programmatic activities in support of your mentees:
- GRAD-EXCEL Mentor Training (Mandatory)
- Meet Your Mentor - Kick-Off Event
- Monthly Brown Bag Lunch Series
Face-to-Face Mentor/Mentee Meetings
Graduate mentors are encouraged to meet face-to-face with each of their mentees on a regular, bi-weekly basis. Please see below for helpful strategies to help achieve early success in developing your mentor/mentee relationship:
- Frequently asked questions for mentors and mentees
- Conversation Ideas for face-to-face meetings [coming soon]
- Additional Mentor Resources
Peer Mentor Bi-Weekly Summary Logs
GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentors will provide written feedback to program staff through the Peer Mentor Log Form. Feedback from mentors will be shared with GRAD-EXCEL program staff and graduate group faculty advisors to the mentors.
GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentees
As a GRAD-EXCEL Mentee, we ask that you make the following commitments:
- Believe in yourself! We recognized your potential when you were admitted to UC Merced and we want to help you achieve success.
- Commit to actively participating for two semesters.
- Keep open communication. Your mentor will be contacting you throughout both semesters to schedule one-on-one meetings. Be an engaged participant.
- Speak up when you are feeling overwhelmed. If you are struggling, be honest with yourself and your mentor in order to confront obstacles and get back on a positive track.
- Be present for the program's Fall social/kick-off September 28th and monthly brown bag lunches.
- Attend at least two events each semester that support academic, social, spiritual or cultural enrichment.
- Have fun! Our GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentor Program is a great way to expand your relationships and get better acquainted with campus resources.
Benefits of having a Peer Mentor:
There are many benefits to having a person "on your team" as you navigate your first year as a doctoral student at UC Merced. Apart from offering academic advice, a mentor can help you:
- Connect with resources that will make your transition to graduate education smoother.
- Meet others with similar interests, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Get familiar with the UC Merced campus more easily.
- Overcome challenges and offer encouragement.
- Identify clubs and activities on campus that will help you hone your leadership skills.
- Learn to advocate for yourself throughout graduate school.
- Find opportunities to get involved in the UC Merced campus and surrounding community.
Peer Mentor Program Contact
For more information or questions regarding the GRAD-EXCEL Peer Mentorship Program, please contact the Graduate Division at email@example.com or 209-228-4723.